Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ezekiel 2:6

"And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or be terrified by them, though they are a rebellious people."  Ezekiel 2:6


"...do not be afraid of them or their words."  Who's them and what words?

  • Them are the people who try to get in your way.
  • The words are what those people might say to you to make you feel bad about yourself.



This verse continues: "Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you..."  Literally, there aren't thorns all around us.  

  • Basically, God's saying: "Don't be afraid even though you live in a place with much trouble."  



Then the verse continues to say: "...you live among scorpions."  Scorpions? Where? 

  • People who are mean, who try to stand in your way, those are the people referred to as scorpions in this passage.
Finally, it finishes with this: "Do not be afraid of what they say or be terrified by them, though they are a rebellious people."
  • Again, they refers to the people who stand in your way, and God wants you to not be affected by their words, for they mean NOTHING.
  • Do not be "terrified" by them, because they are not "terrifying" What I mean is, don't try to base yourself on things other people say about you, but by how you base yourself.
  • Do not be afraid of what others will think of you!  That is an important lesson that is hard to learn!  We always seem to critique ourselves by how others seem; comparing ourselves to others. Our purpose was not to compare ourselves to those around us, but to Jesus.  We look up to Him and try to live a life like His, doing, and saying things He would.
Zemmzemm



6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I am reading the Bible in a year through You Version, but I have to refer to my Life Ap Bible. You've done a lot of work here!
    Thanks for visiting me. My other blog address is www.virtualschoolresources.com
    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting you... I can't recall... but I'll take a look at your blog! Thanks for teh comment! :D

      -Zemmzemm :D

      Delete
    2. Um... Ms. Stilwell, I tried looking for your blog, the URL you put in your comment... but it said it had been removed...

      Delete
  2. Hi Zemmzemm:

    Sorry for letting you down in not posting here, or following what's been posted. I've had a lot going on, but that's no excuse. Please forgive me.

    In regards to this post, I agree with your general understanding, that we shouldn't be afraid of what people say about us, or what they think of us, if we are doing the Lord's will. That is the important message the scripture is sending. But I would like to add, that it is important not to take scripture verses out of context.

    When we read from the beginning of the chapter, we see that the Lord was sending Ezekiel to His children to give them a message. He was telling Ezekiel not to be afraid of them, even though it was dangerous God would be with him. The Lord was also telling him that he was to speak to them regardless of whether or not they would listen; and to eat what the Lord gives him. In other words accept what the Lord provides him with, or what comes to him as a result. (In patience we possess our souls. Luke 21:19)

    I believe the important lesson for us to take from this, and as I say this I am reflecting on how much I needed to use this lesson in the recent past...is for us to do good and share God's word with whomever He puts in our paths, whether we think they will listen or not, and accept the consequences, remembering that we do well if we suffer for Him. And not to be afraid of anyone, "...for they can kill the body, but they cannot kill the soul..," or judge their reactions. Only God knows their hearts and only He can speak directly to them. He knows who will turn...maybe not at that moment...and be saved.

    An important factor, and getting back to your interpretation, is that if we take their assessments of us, or our words personally, we will be hurt. I was given this instruction recently, so I will share it here. When we do this, we allow their words to make us second guess ourselves, our motives and our self worth. We must not take it personally, for it is God they are rejecting, not us. Above all, we must base ourselves on how God sees us, remembering that if our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts. 1 John 3:20 And that if we seek first His kingdom, and His righteousness, He will give us everything we need. Matt 6:33

    My prayers are with you,
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to say thank you for this post Zemmzemm. As I reflected on it and prepared my comment, the Lord was teaching me through the things He brought to my mind and heart as I wrote.

    I pray He will bless your efforts here.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this part: "do not be afraid of them or their words" can also be good for when people do things to you to put you ashamed of the truth and to make fun of you.

    ReplyDelete